This weekend is Memorial Day Weekend, and Memorial Day is May 26th. What is Memorial Day? It is a national holiday in the United States when we take time to remember the men and women in the military who served in the United States Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, and Coast Guard.
So this PEN ME letter writing prompt invites you to write a letter to a person who is serving in the Military.
I know from family members who have served and are serving in either the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, or Coast Guard, mail call can be a wonderful time of day — if you are one of the people who receives mail. But many service people don’t receive mail when they are away from home. Take this opportunity to brighten a service person’s day! If you have a family member or family friend serving in the Military, write her or him a letter.
What do you say to a person in the Military? Here are some ideas:
- Thank them for serving in the military.
- Share with them a highlight from your day.
- Tell the person about your pet, what you enjoy about school, or what you would love to do on a day off.
- Talk about your favorite sport to play, your favorite activity, or your favorite music.
- Ask the person a question about something you are wondering about.
As with all your writing, be very descriptive — use all your senses to create a very vivid letter for the service person to read and enjoy.
If you do not already know someone who is serving in the Military to write to, here are a few organizations you can contact:
One last idea: Think about also writing a letter to someone who has served in the Military in the past. Retired Veterans like to receive mail, too!